First Dry Creek peaches hit Healdsburg Farmers Market
Gayle Okumura Sullivan of Dry Creek Peach & Produce drycreekpeach.com gives us the “peach report.”
‘The farm is in great shape. It is really starting to feel like summer with the days getting hotter and longer, the evenings nice and cool, and the fruit on the trees sizing, coloring, and flavoring up. It is a beautiful time of year. Though it seemed like another unusual winter/spring, we had a solid fruit set full of beautiful blossoms. We were thinning the trees, the process of removing excess immature fruit, out in force this spring. A number of Gilt members participated and it was great to meet everyone. Our farm manager Eusebio was recently able to till the soil one last time and our irrigation is in place and running. Last week CCOF, our organic ce
rtifier, visited our farm and they were amazed at how healthy the orchard looks.’
Pictured are the Rich Mays, a wonderful yellow peach, flavorful with a fine combination of sweet-tart. The Rich Mays typically begin harvest around this time of year with the semi-freestone peaches and then the season builds. Some have asked about the Saturday Santa Rosa Farmers’ Market and they have stayed with the Original Market at the Wells Fargo Center.
Here are some dates planned and when the markets and fruit stand open, peaches will typically run through Labor Day.
- Saturday, June 2, 9 am — Opening day for Dry Creek Peach at the Saturday Healdsburg Farmers’ Market (with a limited, first-pick supply of fruit)
- Wednesday, June 6, 4-6:30pm — Opening day for Healdsburg mid-week market, Wednesdays on the Plaza (note the change of date & venue from past years)
- Friday, June 29, 12-5pm – Farm stands opens every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through the end of summer.
- Saturday, Aug 4, 5:30 — John Ash dinner in the orchard, sign up for this unique experience with Relish
- Sunday, Aug 12 – Tour d’Organics bike ride lunch stop
Click here to see what chefs are cooking up this summer when you join/like Dry Creek Peach on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dry-Creek-Peach-and-Produce/107431752647795
Dry Creek Peach & Produce, 2179 Yoakim Bridge Road, 433-8121.
Share your favorite peach recipe with us.